On Friday, November 17, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh will conduct elections to choose their respective Assemblies. While Madhya Pradesh will witness voting across all 230 constituencies in a single day, the second phase of Chhattisgarh Assembly elections will cover 50 seats. Twenty constituencies in Chhattisgarh have already cast their votes on November 7. To participate in the Madhya Pradesh Assembly Election 2023 and Chhattisgarh Assembly Election 2023, having a voter ID is crucial. But what if you don’t possess a voter ID?
Voters in Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh can still vote in the upcoming elections by presenting any of the following documents:
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- Driving licence
If none of the above documents is available, voters can carry election slips issued by the Election Commission of India (ECI). Additionally, MNREGA cards, ID cards of Central and state government employees, and pension cards with photos are also considered valid for casting votes at polling booths.
Other accepted identity cards for voting in the Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh Assembly elections on November 17 include:
- Passbooks with a photograph issued by a Bank/Post Office
- Smart Card issued by RGI under NPR
- Health Insurance Smart Card issued under the Ministry of Labour’s scheme
- Pension documents with photographs
- Official identity cards issued to MPs/MLAs/MLCs
It’s important for voters in both states to ensure their names are on the electoral roll. While the Election Commission initially approved the Photo Voter Slip (PVS) for casting ballots, it has clarified that PVS alone will not be accepted as a standalone identification document for voting.
Steps to check if Your Name is on the Electoral Roll:
- Visit https://voters.eci.gov.in/and click on “search in electoral roll” at the top right
- Enter your state and choose the language
- Provide your first name, surname, relative’s first name, relative’s surname, date of birth, and gender
- Select your district and Assembly constituency and enter the captcha code
- If your name is on the electoral roll, it will be displayed on the screen.